Sunday, October 25, 2009

Are you still carrying her ... ?

Two monks were travelling in the rain, the mud sloshing under their feet. As they came to a rivulet crossing, they saw a beautiful young girl, finely dressed, unable to cross because of the mud. Without a word, the older monk picked up the girl and carried her to the other side.

The younger monk was agitated for the rest of their journey and could not control himself once they reached their destination. He exploded at the older monk, "How could you, a monk, even consider holding a woman in your arms, much less a young and beautiful one? It is against our teachings. It is in very bad taste."

"I put her down at the roadside", said the older monk, "Are you still carrying her ... ?"

2 comments:

  1. Very well said! Your story says a lot with very few words, from my perspective it reminds us how we hold on to certain perception,grudges about some people all our lives, only to do harm to us.

    I must say that i love the picture, which looks so serene.
    Thanks, for the reminder.
    Also you might wanna check out my little effort to connect with our higher selves on my blog. http://livethelifeyoudreamedof.blogspot.com/
    I always appreciate suggestions and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thanks a lot !
    I visited your blog and it is filled with very good thoughts about our life. Truely liked your posts. I would recommend my friends to read your blog.
    I (who am I really ... ;-)) especially liked your blog post "What is the purpose of my life?"

    Please do post such nice thoughts in future also ... thanks.

    ReplyDelete