Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Moving on to Bundler to manage my Rails 2.3.9 app's gem dependencies

Recently I faced some gem dependency issues on one of our servers where we have a good amount of rails applications. (more Rails 2.3.x apps as compared to a couple of Rails 3.0.x apps). (This was a cruise box used by all apps to execute rspecs and generate metric_fu reports after you commit your code - Continuous Integration concept :-)

My app was using Rails 2.3.9, and due to some reason, I did not get a chance earlier to move my application to use Bundler for managing all the gem dependencies. Finally, I made it :-)

I followed 2 links :-
http://gembundler.com/
http://gouravtiwari.blogspot.com/2011/03/bundler-with-rails-222.html

Since then, I have not faced any gem dependency issues on any of the boxes.
So what are you waiting for ? If you haven't done it till date, do it now ... or you will spend (waste?) time in resolving weird gem dependency issues ... :-)

A good learning for me !

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a good learning from you. Thanks for the information.Will try it right now.I have few more queries.Will discuss with you.

    ReplyDelete